02 May, 2010

Resigning is scary!

So I decided to not return to my job next year. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the primary one is that I've been needing a change for a while and circumstances have arisen that make this a very positive step for me.

I've already got friends in Seattle. A possible roommate (if we can agree on an apartment), and endless opportunities for new jobs. I've been applying with no success yet. It's a little difficult when employers want to hire someone now and I'm not available until July. My lovely references at Starbucks are being really helpful. I'm willing to work hard and I'm going to do what it takes.

Slowly telling my co-workers. Always a little awkward. Trying to see if I should make a stand before I leave. I need to keep my positive references, but I don't know who else will take a stand.

A long time family friend recently told me she's fed up with being a responsible citizen. I've definitely done the responsible thing for...well, ever. When I didn't have a job, I moved home. I was able to pay my loans because I didn't have rent to pay. I paid more than the minimum on my highest interest loans to pay them off early. I put money into savings and kept my hand-me-down car with good gas mileage. Found a place to live with affordable rent and great roommates. Took a job I didn't think I'd like because I needed to get into my field and get a year of teaching under my belt. Worked my behind off for what boils down to minimum wage when you really do the math.

And now I'm taking this big, scary, and exciting risk. It's time for my adventure.

No comments: