30 May, 2007

Karaoke Kid- Aussie Style

Leave it to me to make it to a karaoke semi-final competition by accident.

The whole school staff went to dinner last night. Neat little place that used to be a dive but got totally remodeled. The restaurant closed at 9pm and we weren't all ready to leave so we made our way into the front area. And there was karaoke. And one of the teachers wanted someone to sing with her. And I agreed to sing and recruit more singers. We chose Sweet Caroline (ironic?). Then the Karaoke organizer lost our slip and let someone else sing it before us. So we had to change the song. Being a kind person, I let the other teachers choose: Dancing Queen by ABBA. Not really in my singing range, but there were going to be heaps more people singing, so no big deal.

They call us, and three of us get up to sing. Sweet. That's okay. One of the teachers announces that we're from Kotara South School. Great. I hand out the other microphone and they both look at me and say "We're just your backup dancers." Not cool. I had to sing alone. And they were backup dancers. And boy, did they dance. And I did a terrible job singing, partially because I was laughing so hard at my backup dancers. So we endure, the song ends, I run off stage. Oh well, not too embarrassing because it's not like I'll ever see any of the other people at the bar ever again, right? WRONG.

At lunch today, there's a call to the office. One of my backup dancers answers it. She comes back crying, she was laughing so hard. There was a competition going on last night. We made it through to the semi-finals. We have to go back on June 27th and compete again. "No way Ester. You're not funny." "Jess, I wouldn't joke about something as ridiculous as this."

So my bad singing and their dancing was a hit. They're talking about making costumes and choreographing for the semi's. Too bad I'll still be around to compete. Maybe I can hop an early flight home? If the prize is good enough, I may do it. Maybe we could win a karaoke machine for the school??

I've got some photos to post of our competition. You'll be able to see what we were up against. I should have them up by the end of the week.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Kat/Mom said...

Oh my gosh, where are those photos?! Got to see them.
Wrapping up the night and interviewing for teaching spots for next year. Hey, maybe we'll be able to look together...way not cool that your older aunt is talking about that with you! So, do they serve LaBatt's everywhere? Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Please don't let this karaoke success go to your head and make you decide to change career paths this late in the game. Love Mom