19 August, 2009

Every day is for MATH!

I've spent the last three days sitting at tables, listening to people talk. About math. And the new curriculum we have. And I'm on overload. I can only handle turning and talking to my partner so many times before I get fed up. Not to blame my partner (or small group) because everyone has been wonderful~ but without letting me get at a copier, my classroom, and my students, we can only prep so much.

I've got other things to deal with as well, which are minor annoyances. In my big square room I have six circular tables for 22 students. There is only one spot for my desk to go thanks to the way the room was wired for the network. Oh and did I mention that I have NOTHING to put on the walls???? Jeez, I knew my first year of teaching was going to be tough, but come on, I'm starting to feel ridiculous. I know teachers get to take tax money for the stuff they buy for their room, but do I want to start that before the school year even begins?

And let me just say, that the idea of selling a math curriculum in Spanish generally means we expect things to be in Spanish. Not the case for many big items- like report cards, the games that are in integral part of the lessons, the teacher resource materials before the Spanish lessons, the vocabulary lists at the start of the unit... and you get the idea. I guess we just make "suggestions for the next edition" that THEY GET EVERYTHING IN SPANISH.

I'm a bit out of my blogging practice so bear with me as I 1) move into a new place, 2) go through three weeks of teacher training, 3) get my classroom set up, 4) blog about it to keep myself sane!
I'm gonna try to get some photos. I'll do what I can.

But now, I'm off to color my C/F Thermometer. Yes, they gave me directions in my new math materials on how to color it.

~J

No comments: