21 September, 2009

Bak-2-skool

Well, tomorrow is the night. I get to meet and greet and translate along the way. Slides are split-screen English/Spanish. And I get to say one thing, and then say it again. Fun. My big plan is to get them going with an ice breaker (I knew all those camp trainings and community building things would come in handy!) and then let the parents play with the SMART board at the end as their reward for listening. I stayed late today to get my handouts printed out- had to keep shaking the toner cartridge because- SURPRISE- we have emptied one! If we had a printer before school started, we could have staggered all our necessary printing. Lets just hope that we've got some for tomorrow night or we'll have lots of rooms without handouts.

Math is getting hard. We keep getting started but things take longer to do than they should. We do not have 90 minutes for math. We barely have 90 minutes for literacy. Don't get me wrong, I love art, media, and PE. They are so important!!!! But we need more face time with our kids. If we went until 2:30pm, we could get that extra math time. If only it was that easy!

And on that note. Lets discuss germs. I've been doing a lot with getting my kids to cough into their elbows and wash their hands. They seem to get it- they believe that washing their hands is a good things. The only problem is that our paper towel dispenser is in a stupid place! It's up on the wall behind the faucet- so that to rip off a towel kids have to hit the faucet. I'll get a picture to show you. Our awesome custodian Mark told me there's not a lot he can do about it but I just don't believe that he can't move it to the wall on the other side of the sink???

Wish me luck with my padres. I can handle them. Just keep that SMART board as their reward...

~J

No comments: