09 November, 2009

Professional Development

This phrase takes on many lives in different careers.

As a teacher, "professional development" translates loosely into "A day where you are not with students, but everything you do revolves around they anyway." I've got three this week. Sweet.

Also, can anyone explain why my first graders are talking about Twlight characters? I swear I heard one of my girls say "Edward Cullen is one of the Twilight. He's a vampire but he turned alive. And the books are way better than the movie. I don't even want to see the one this week."

And finally, before I get a good night's rest for my two days of developing, I had a moment today when I saw my students learning. It was really cool. We were doing math. Counting by 2s and 5s. Then I went WAY outside the box and asked if anyone could count by 3s. And guess who said she could? Yeppers, my little friend who refuses to do any work. Only the last few days have been stellar. And she totally showed up the class by busting out her counting by 3s. It was a pretty great moment. I know what I'm doing. Who knew?

~J

No comments: