19 November, 2009

Rounding third base.....

I've got three more days to teach before a five day weekend. Thank goodness. I don't know why, but this week has just dragged on forever. Maybe it's the bad weather. Maybe it's the fact one kid left and another new student came two days in a row. I haven't even been able to leave my room feeling organized for like a month. Today I had meetings from the minute the kids got on the buses so I literally shut everything down before all of it. Not good when you need to print something and can't take the time to turn the computer back on to do it.

The plus side of all of this is I'm not the only one. My teammates are also feeling stressed and a bit overwhelmed by everything. It doesn't help that my district keeps adopting things across the district that IS NOT AVAILABLE IN SPANISH. I mean really, what do they expect us to do? Just keep creating things out of nothing? Well I'm sorry. Not only do I not have any personal resources on federally approved RtI curriculum, but I also have no ELL training. I may teach 30 min of my day in English but that does not mean I have a degree that says I do it well. I do what I can but that's about it. So please stop expecting me to reinvent the wheel here.

Oh yeah, and we still need a laminator. Thanks.

The superintendent is all hyped about starting a STEM k-5 school and I think it's a bad idea. Science TEchnolongy Engineering and Math are all good things, but starting a new school when a new school program is still building its enrollment is a BAD idea. We still need money to buy classroom libraries, we could use general office funds, oh and THE LAMINATOR.

On a plus side, I really enjoy the district staff development committee that I am on. Turns out I'm meeting with some pretty powerful people and getting my voice heard. Lets hope what I have to say leads to some action!

Also, we just finished up a Flat Stanley Project. We've gotten pictures from Vegas, Seattle, Melbourne, and many more are on the way. President Obama got one, as well as Mylie Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. If that list isn't a perfect description of what this generation will grow up to be, I don't know what is.
~J

No comments: