16 April, 2007

Let the fun begin!!

Let's talk about toilets. As I learned at Wingra, the ocean currents flow differently in the northern and southern hemispheres. I was charged with reporting back to everyone which direction the toilets flush down here. So, after being in Sydney for six hours, I have much to report.

1) Toilets have two flushing options- half and whole flush (to conserve water since we're still in a 9 year drought). To accommodate these flushes, most toilets have been replaced.
2) As a result, toilets flush....downward. There is no swirl. It's kind of like a vacuum.
3) I tested a sink drain to see if that could give me some insight into non-technologically advanced drains, and (drum roll please.............) it drained counter clockwise! I tried it twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.

SO, I don't know if toilets would flush counter clockwise if technology had not stepped in and taken over. If, in my travels, I come across an ancient toilet without the half/whole flush options, I'll update you again.

On a different note, my layover in Fiji (at 5am) was not what I expected. We were greeted by a 5 piece band serenading us. The duty and tax free stores weren't open, but we got a royal musical welcome. It was oddly wonderful. Too bad the weather was so bad (raining and very cloudy) because I didn't get to see the beautiful mountains I have heard so much about. I have two days at the end of my trip to do a little sight seeing around Nadi, so I hope the weather cooperates then.

On my flight to Sydney, I sat next to Xavier. Xavi is a delightful 4 year old boy. He introduced himself to me by saying "You're sitting by us. You're going back to Sydney too right??" I had to tell Xavi that I was going to Sydney for the first time, but that I was happy to sit by him. We chatted about Happy Feet (one of the feature movies for our flight) and his dinosaur coloring book (or should I say colouring book?) Needless to say, I was happy to spend that time with him, but after traveling for 18 hours, I needed a shower and was getting a little crabby. We said our goodbyes and waved over the baggage claim carriage.

Once through customs (no problems!!!) I carried my luggage to the bus stop. I needed to get to University of New South Wales. My friend lives here and I'm staying at her place. I found my way to her job on campus, got the keys to the apartment, and carried my stuff up a few flights of stairs.

I'm still somewhat surprised that I'm actually here. We had dinner on the beach. Drove to Bondi Beach (which is the most dangerous beach for surfing in Sydney due to a rip tide in the middle) and the South Head on the Tazman Sea. Gorgeous. Reminds me of the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.

I'm tired. I should try to adjust to the schedule as quickly as I can. I'll write more once I get to my host family tomorrow night!!!

--Jess

7 comments:

KT said...

Sounds like you had an alright journey! I am so glad you made it safely (and with luggage intact)! Good luck meeting the host family; can't wait to hear how it goes.

Unknown said...

i can't believe you're halfway across the world right now! madtown is getting pretty lonely these days, but i am excited to hear about your adventures!

Gramma & Grampa said...

WOW!! I'm impressed with the latest in technology for toilets!! Interesting! I'm glad you got there safely. We are excited to get the next edition. Love you! Gramma

Unknown said...

ps - i met your cooperating teacher tonight and told her the toilet post was up! :)

Anonymous said...

You seem to be taking everything in stride, I am so happy for you. Work hard, play well and enjoy every minute.

Kat/Mom said...

I miss you already. With no humility, did I not say our toilet flushed straight downward??? Thanks for everyone dissin' me on that...

On the beach? Dinner? When can I come & visit??????

What's next on the agenda?

wingraclaire said...

Thanks for the important plumbing update. We were all happy to read it! Hard to imagine you on the other side of the planet. We are looking forward to future postings!

We have finally begun the All School Unit and are in the thick of recycling. We'd really like to hear more about the water-conserving toilets because it would fit right in with what we are studying. Of course, your priorities are slightly different right now!!!

Good luck in your new classroom, and keep us posted!